The theme for this year's Nutrition Month Celebration is "TIMBANG IWASTO SA TAMANG NUTRISYON AT EHERSIYO". The National Nutrition Council (NCC) will lead the 2015 National Nutrition Month Celebration this July, 2015 focusing on addressing the issue of being overweight and obese among Filipinos. This has reference to DepED Memorandum No. 62 s. 2015 dated June 17, 2015.
The celebration aims to:
- Increase awareness on the role and importance of proper nutrition and physical activity in the of being overweight and obese among general public
- Encourage Filipinos to make positive decisions towards consumption of healthy diets and be physically active to prevent non-communicable diseases as a result of being overweight and obese
- Encourage communities, national and local governments, non-government organization, private sector, media, the academe and other stakeholders to put in place an enabling environment, which promotes proper nutrition and physical acativity among Filipinos to prevent being overweight and obese.
To ensure the success of the month-long celebration, all school officials are enjoined to encourage their teachers, pupils/students, non-teaching staff and members of their school communities join the national celebration in any of the following activities:
- Implementation of the Civil Service Commission (CSC) Memorandum Circular No. 5 s. 2015 containing the Ten Kumainments in government agencies posted on www.csc.gov.ph. The Ten Kumainments can be downloaded from the NNC's website: www.nnc.gov.ph
- Dissemination of the Nutrition Month (NM) theme through the conduct of seminars and fora, hanging of streamers, posting on department or agency websites and bulletin boards and distribute NM flyers to employees and clientele. NNC will make available the prototype streamer design posted on www.nnc.gov.ph
- Promotion of the pinggang pinoy developed jointly by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI), NCC and Department of Health (DOH)
- Conduct of the similar Belly Gud for Health activity of the DOH where employees are encouraged to reduce their waist circumference by having a contest of the person with the highest reduction in waist circumference from July to December. As an altenative, all concerned can measure the body mass index of employees to determine the privalence of being overweight and obese
- Ensuring the availability of healthy food options in school canteens
- Conduct of other activities which will promote healthy weight among employees and students.