The Public Schools District Supervisor of Indanan South District tried his best to look for the differences of Co-curricular Activities and Extra-curricular Activities. He recalled one of the presentations in his attendance at PIR (Program Implementation Review) Training Workshop conducted by DepED-ARMM spearheaded by Asec Noor M. Saada at Pinnacle Hotel, Davao City last 2013. He has the slides of that presentation stored in his notebook. However, there was no clear difference of the two off-campus activities presented by the slides. Fortunately, he was able to browse the website of DepED where he clicked the link below containing the differences or distinctions between Co-curricular Activities and Extra-curricular Activities.
This has reference to the previous post relative to DepED Order No. 66 s. 2017 dated December 27, 2017, the DepED Policy stipulating the Implementing Guidelines on the Conduct of Off-campus Activities
He searched for it in the web and he came across the differences bulleted or numbered below by www.outputeducation.com. There, we can visualize the clear distinctions of the the two activities. However, it has contradiction to what DepED differentiated above. Therefore, schools should not consider the comparisons of both Co-curricular Activities and Extra-curricular Activities shown by the website, www.outputeducation.com.
Knowing the difference between Co-Curricular Activities and Extracurricular Activities helps in classifying the activities students are involved in.
- Activities sponsored or recognized by a school or college which are not part of the academic curriculum but are acknowledged to be an essential part of the life of an educational institution. Co-curricular activities include sports, school bands, student newspaper etc.
- Mainly organized after school hours and so were the extra-curricular but they are not an integral part of the activities of the school as its curricular work”- according to Aggarwal (2000).
- Activities undertaken to strengthen the classroom learning as well as other activities both inside and outside the classroom to develop the personality of the child”- according to Bhatia (1996).
- Activities carried on outside the regular course of study; activities outside the usual duties of a job, as extra class activities”- according to The International Dictionary of Education (1977).
- Various social and other types of activities like literary, dramatic, social services etc. which attracted the attention of the child were considered as extracurricular activities.
- Can be almost anything that isn’t required for high school credit or paid employment. These activities will become very important later, such as when you are applying to colleges, because they help you develop your talents, interests, and passions. The can also teach you practical skills like time management.
Roles of Co-curricular and Extra-curricular Activities in Student
- Co-curricular activities help in realization of aims and objectives of education. In the practical life, the students able to express their ideas freely due to active participation in debate and extempore.
- Discussion also helps in generating ideas and inculcating values.
- Games and Sports make them mentally and physically fit and sound. Games make them learn how to perform while losing or wining an event. Sometimes, classroom teaching becomes monotonous and routine.
- Co-curricular activities can bring pleasant and joyous experiences.
Top 10 advantages of Co-curricular Activity
- Co-curricular activities (CCA) make a horizon for systematic and meaningful learning opportunities and prepare students for future.
- CCA makes you active and energetic thereby help in learning and enable to develop multiple skills to students.
- Co-curricular activities help in holistic development of the personality.
- Co-curricular activity along with formal education helps to channelize the hidden potential of the students and make you a good citizen.
- Domains like social, academic, intellectual, cultural, democratic, civic and aesthetic get enriched after participation in co-curricular activities.
- Students, who are good in sports, also have good academic record.
- Co-curricular activities help in realizing the importance of education and develop the spirit of healthy competition.
- Co-curricular activities support students practically and professionally for a better future.
- CCA enhances students experience, understanding and brings benefits beyond students and parents expectation.
- It is a good source of remaining fit and healthy, and provides you a mental rest